How To Control Sense Organs
Control of indriyas, sense organs, is an indispensable requisite for spiritual sadhana. On account of restlessness of any one of the indriyas, the aspirant fails in meditation.
• Through introspection find out which indriya is troubling you and curb it ruthlessly.
• Give up the objects which the particular indriya tries to grasp. Destroy the thirsting for objects and sense enjoyments.
• Speak the truth. Talk little. Observe mouna, silence, for two hours daily. Speak sweet, loving, soft words. Do not utter harsh words. Do not abuse anybody. This is the discipline of vak indriya, organ of speech.
• Do not look at anyone with a lustful look. When you move in the streets look at the tip of the nose or the big toe and walk. Do not look hither and thither. This is the discipline of eye, the organ of sight.
• Do not attend parties or indulge in gossip and talk of worldly topics. Do not hear vulgar music. This is the discipline of ear, the organ of hearing.
• Do not use scents. This is the discipline of nose, the organ of smell.
• Give up salt and sugar for a week. Live on simple food. Fast on ekadashi or live on milk. This is the discipline of tongue, the organ of taste.
• Observe brahmacharya, continence. Sleep on a hard mat. Walk bare-footed. Do not use an umbrella. This is the discipline of the skin, the organ of touch.
• Fix the mind on your ishta devata, personal deity. Bring it back again and again when it wanders and fix it on the image. This is the sadhana for checking the indriyas.